5 Tips for Maintaining a Radiant Smile
We all want brilliant and radiant smiles. Unfortunately, the foods we eat and the beverages we drink can discolor our teeth, making them appear yellowed and unhealthy. If you want to achieve and maintain a bright smile, follow these five tips from the dentists at Desert Family Dental.
5 Tips to Achieve and Maintain a Radiant Smile
- Get Regular Cleanings: In addition to brushing and flossing daily, you also need to get regular dental cleanings. At Desert Family Dental, we recommend patients come in for an exam and cleaning every six months, in accordance with what the American Dental Association recommends. Regular cleanings can eliminate the surface stains that build up in between visits, and your daily brushing and flossing can help maintain your whiter smile between visits.
- Avoid Certain Foods and Beverages: Avoiding certain foods and beverages can help you maintain a bright white smile. Dark beverages like coffee, red wine, and soda can all lead to dental stains over time. Berries and other dark fruits, as well as dark sauces, also lead to discoloration of porous tooth enamel. If you want to keep your smile pearly white, limit your consumption of these foods and drinks. Some foods, like strawberries and green tea, actually help teeth look whiter. For more information on how to choose the best foods for your brightest smile, talk with Dr. Lee.
- Quit Smoking: If you’ve never smoked cigarettes or used tobacco, don’t start. Tobacco products yellow the teeth and cause a wide range of other problems, both for your oral and physical health. If you do smoke, make every effort to quit. Dr. Lee or your general physician will gladly help you determine which type of smoking cessation program would work best for your lifestyle. Once you have successfully quit smoking, you can get your teeth professionally whitened to restore your bright and healthy smile.
- Have Your Teeth Professionally Whitened: Whether you were a smoker or an avid coffee drinker, those habits can take their toll on your smile. Regular brushing and even regular dental cleanings may not be enough to lift those surface stains. When that is the case, our dentists recommend professional teeth whitening. Unlike over-the-counter options like whitening toothpastes or strips, professional whitening is safer, more effective, and will ensure beautiful results. At Desert Family Dental, we offer take-home whitening kits with professional-strength bleaching gels and custom-fitted whitening trays. This makes whitening at home convenient, comfortable, and safe. You can keep your trays and order additional whitening gel as needed, then maintain your brighter smile at home with periodic re-treatment.
- Consider Porcelain Veneers or Dental Bonding: Unfortunately, not all stains are surface stains caused by foods and drinks. Some are internal, or intrinsic, dental stains that result from oral trauma, excess fluoride consumption during childhood, or taking tetracycline antibiotics. Traditional teeth whitening treatments are not effective at addressing these types of stains. Fortunately, we offer alternative options with porcelain veneers and dental bonding. Using different materials (ceramic vs. composite resin), both of these procedures can conceal dark internal stains by covering the surface of the tooth that shows when you smile. Porcelain veneers are prefabricated, hand made shells of ceramic that our dentists can attach to the font of your teeth. Dental bonding uses layers of composite resin, applied directly to teeth in our office. Both options are tooth-colored and will deliver a bright, beautiful smile. Ask about which option is best for your teeth when you visit Dr. Lee for a consultation.
Whether you want a whiter smile for a special event like a wedding, or you just want to feel more confident about your appearance, teeth whitening can provide the unforgettable smile you’ve always wanted.
Make Your Appointment for Teeth Whitening
Contact Desert Family Dental today to schedule a consultation. Our dentists will carefully examine your teeth and gums to determine which whitening option is right for you. We will work with you to select the most beneficial treatment for your needs and budget. Don’t forget: if it has been more than six months since your last dental cleaning, schedule one today. Regular dental cleanings will not only keep your smile healthy, but will also help you to maintain the bright and radiant smile you want.